The death penalty is more expensive than incarceration and fundamentally inhumane. Prominent social scientists consistently cite the six key arguments to defend their opposition to capital punishment:
- The death penalty is racist and consistently applied in a racially-biased manner
- The death penalty unfairly punishes the poor
- The death penalty condemns the innocent to die
- The death penalty is not a deterrant against violent crime
- The death penalty is cruel and unusual punishment
- The death penalty fails to recognize to potential of guilty people to change, and prizes retribution over rehabilition
For these reasons and more, the death penalty should not be allowed to exist within a democratic and free civil society.